“And above all,
watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you,
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl





Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Happy Halloween Haunted Humpday!!



Happy Halloween!
It's such a special time for us here..it's a little bittersweet though..
we wait all year and it gets here and it's gone in a heartbeat.



Last night was our Great Pumpkin party..
Ive been doing this for my girls for about 24 years now.

When they were young, our trick or treating options were slim,
 I decided, after watching 
 'It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown'
to bring trick or treating to us..


on the 30th at midnight, the Great pumpkin arrives,
he brings candy and toys and leaves them on the front porch.
We have a huge dinner first though..followed by scary stories.


mummydogs


 eyeball brownies


I don't have many photos anymore, but here's a couple of my older girls on GP night..
  they were 2 and 3


3&4


Helena's first Great pumpkin



Here's Helena's 2nd Halloween..she wanted to be her older sister, lol


We still carry on the tradition..and hopefully even when I'm gone, they will keep it going.

one of the movies we watched tonight was

A teenage girl under house arrest
 discovers that the nightmarish urban legend of the Mexican boogeyman,
 El Cucuy, is true.



This movie was okay..not as scary as the cucuy I grew up fearing though.

.......................................................................................................
 
Here's  another DT project..
 I made a haunted mushroom house..
I'd love to live there wouldn't you?




Here's a project for the Hell gnome death digis design team..
I used the angry ocular digi stamp to create an ornament...


and a throw pillow...


...............................................................................................


It's chilly here tonight..so let's get cozy by the fire, one last time..

When I was little, El Cucuy
was the scariest thing ever.. (so was La Llorona)
He's used as a means to discipline children..
kind of like a threat I guess..

Well, when I was about eight years old, I remember I was staying the weekend with my aunt..
My Aunt's stepson, Robert was also there..
He was Eleven years old and didn't bother with the "little girls" (my cousin and I)
He liked hanging out with my 14 year old cousin Michael instead.
On Saturday morning my cousin whispered to me that Robert had gone to the drugstore
the night before and stolen a pack of cigarettes.
We were both terrified..the Cucuy would surely come and punish him.
Stealing was at the top of the list of things that summoned him.
We made sure to steer clear of  Robert, & we were nervous all day.
Whenever we would go outside, I kept thinking I saw something up in the tree house.
I was always afraid of it..it was at least 15 to 20 feet high and it seemed impossible
to climb..the whole place was a mystery to me.
After dinner that evening, Robert and Michael made plans to go up there.
(most likely to smoke)
Robert climbed up, but  before Michael had a chance to follow,
my aunt called to him..probably to finish some chore or another.
While he was inside, we heard a horrible scream come from the backyard.
Robert had fallen out of the tree house and shattered his ankles.
He was crying and telling everyone that something had pushed him..
He's been sitting down, waiting for Michael when he was shoved out, hard.
He claimed that right before it happened
he had chills running down his spine
and he caught a glimpse of a pair of pale hands with long fingers..

My uncle went up to look around and came back down with the cigarettes.
As far as I know, he was not punished for having them, maybe they
didn't want to add  more pain to his life..
He needed many, many operations and months of therapy.
My cousin and I were convinced we knew who had pushed him.
sadly, he never recovered completely,
he had to use a cane for the rest of his life.




............................................................................................................

Well, I'm afraid this is our cue to put out the Halloween fire and head home to our warm beds.
Thank you SO much for stopping by and sharing the joy this sweet colorful holiday brings.
I appreciate you very verily!!

Now, here's Logan, our spooky kitty, giving you a silly little wink!


Happy Halloween, my friends..take care and be safe out there..
See you soon!!






12 comments:

  1. Fabulous decorations and Happy Halloween

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post.
    I loved seeing your photographs.

    Happy Halloween Wishes to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Halloween (even if it has just gone).
    Loved your creativity. And aches for your cousin. There are more things in heaven and earth...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Halloween! I was unfamiliar with either of those legends or the movies, but how horrifying for your cousin! I'll keep an eye out for the films. I've enjoyed these seasonal Wednesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Halloween! I really enjoyed this years Haunted Hump-Days.
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that haunted mushroom!!! So cute!
    That story about Robert is very sad and spooky. I bet he never stole anything again.
    Its so cool that you started the tradition of Great Pumpkin. That is so special and your kids are going to have a wonderful tradition to carry on. Happy Halloween!! I am so so sad that its over. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Marfi, How much fun and food you had. That's fabulous. I loved your story. It's true, the night of Halloween goes by too fast. Take care, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the costumes and fun last night.The best was a large family all dressed to the "T". The father had a cluster of balloons floating above them, but until he got close one didn't notice he was more like the Insane Clown Posse.What a great tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO sorry I am late visiting. I was thinking about you yesterday, but was out and about, first treating myself to early voting, then lunch where the wait staff was dressed up in costumes. I didn't get home until it was just about time to turn on the porch lights and greet the tricksters with pencils and glow sticks.

    I was so in awe of how you have taken care of your children with Halloween inspired food and treats left on your doorstep. It's a great way to keep a legacy going, too. I love it.

    That story was spooky. I am sorry to read about your cousin Robert and the pain he must have endured. It's always great when you can add a bit of your own history to any story.

    I really appreciate you creating and continuing Haunted Humpday each year. I LOVE it and will continue to visit, whether it's haunted or not haunted humpday, dear Marfi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marfi, I'm so glad you all had a fun Halloween!

    Your photos are great, and I love your photo of Logan!

    I'm sure sorry to hear what happened to Robert!

    Anyway, just to let you know, as you can see, I'm back to blogging again.

    I wish you all a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this post very much, and it was a delight to see photos of your family. I'm looking forward to the next Halloween Humpday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you had a great Halloween Marfi! I love your celebration at your home! How special! I'm sure your girls will carry on the tradition! Thank you for sharing the great photos! Amazing creations you did!! So much fun! Big Hugs and Happy November!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it:)