“And above all,
watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you,
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl





Thursday, November 8, 2018

Dia de Muertos 2018

How are you?
I've been..sleeping a lot!
Just can't seem to get my fill for some reason.
This is something I notice during this time of year..must be the pull of hibernation, lol



On November 2nd we celebrate Dia de los Muertos.
I created a mini shrine using an old salt container and Lisa Kettell Designs products..



I also made an altered wooden block using elements from the 
Hellgnome death digis design team.
I used the 'Dead man in the moon' digi stamp for this.
I used copic markers to color it then I covered the design in glossy accents
to give it a textured surface.


 I prepared the altar for Dia de muertos
using photos, mementos,candles and flowers.
I marveled at the way it changes..sometimes all I have are photos and a candle,
other times, it's huge, covering a large area.


I also make sure there's pan de muertos on the altar every year.

 
It is a sweetened soft bread shaped like a bun, often decorated with bone-shaped phalange pieces. Pan de muerto is eaten on Día de Muertos, at the gravesite or alternatively, at a tribute called an ofrenda. In some regions, it is eaten for months before the official celebration of Dia de Muertos. In Oaxaca, pan de muerto is the same bread that is usually baked, with the addition of decorations. As part of the celebration, loved ones eat pan de muerto as well as the relative's favorite foods. The bones represent the deceased one (difuntos or difuntas) and there is normally a baked tear drop on the bread to represent goddess Chīmalmā's tears for the living. The bones are represented in a circle to portray the circle of life. The bread is topped with sugar. This bread can be found in Mexican grocery stores in the U.S. The classic recipe for pan de muerto is a simple sweet bread recipe, often with the addition of anise seeds, and other times flavored with orange flower water or orange zest. Other variations are made depending on the region or the baker. The one baking the bread will usually wear decorated wristbands, a tradition which was originally practiced to protect from burns on the stove or oven.
Bread of the dead usually has skulls or crossbones engraved on it. It is believed the spirits do not eat, but absorb its essence, along with water at their ofrenda, after their long journey back to Earth.
 

We had a wonderful night, baking bread and making my parent's favorite foods..
Helena and I stayed up late into the night, listening to music, talking about everyone that passed and how
important this tradition is to us.

Thank you, once again for stopping by and visiting with me.
I'll be dropping by your blogs this weekend and catching up.

16 comments:

  1. It is fun to see similar traditions shared around the world. I am not sure I have tried the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The days getting shorter is what makes me sleepy this time of year. The salt box makes a perfect shrine, doesn't it! I'd never have thought of that. I've never heard of pan de muerto. These family traditions are an important part of seasonal observances, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tradition to honour those who have gone before us is a wonderful thing.
    I do hope that you and Helena shared some love and laughter as well as the longing for those who have left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dead man in the moon!! I really love the tradition and history with Dia de Muertos. I do believe that beginning next year, I'm going to create an alter as well. I recently lost my dad ( in January will be 3 years) and I would love to honor him as well as my past relatives.
    You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the altar looks great.
    So pleased that you had a wonderful night.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful altar and I love your creativity!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely that you keep family traditions alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have been by earlier, but I've been offline due to my internet and telephone being down. My friend Scott got my internet going again, but not my phone.

    I LOVE your alter. Very appropriate, too. It reminds me of an alter I made one year. That mini shrine from a salt container is AWESOME. I love the skull.

    Don't sleep too long. Thanksgiving is on the way (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your altar is so beautiful! Thanks so much for explaining to us about the bread! That is so interesting! I'm glad you had a wonderful day! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Interesting Marfi !!! https://plumfieldhousegardens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful ofrenda filled with love & tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a super-beautiful post. pure magic! Your creations are all amazing! I can feel the magic and soulfulness through everything you shared! Just wanted to pop in and wish you a magical 2019! I hope to blog more this year and visit your beautiful world! Hugs my sweet friend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marfi, I miss you and just stopped by to wish you a healthy, safe, and joyful new year for you and your loved ones. I hope you have a fabulous and productive 2019, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing post, I enjoyed reading it.
    Your blog looks lovely, dear!
    Happy New Year, lots of love to you!

    Following you, would you like to follow me back?
    My blog

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it:)