“And above all,
watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you,
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl





Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Halfway to Halloween!

Wow, we are flying through this month!


Do you have any plans for this weekend?


It rained again for us this week..
The water almost came in through the back doors!
We still managed to do some fun things though.

 It felt so festive and chilly outside the day after it rained, that we went to a place called
Donut Parlor to celebrate.
look at this maple bacon donut..I got a vanilla iced coffee  with it:)


Remember the ghost from last week?
I added a little bit of glitter to it..what do you think?


We carved this pumpkin while watching a scary movie..
guess what kind of monster it was about?


That's right..a vampire..
The movie was an old Disney one called
'Mom's got a date with a vampire' 
It's silly but it reminds me of when my girls were little.



The next night we watched Candyman..
Do you remember that one?
 it's based off of an urban legend..like bloody Mary.
You say his name five times..
he appears and ........kills you? 
I don't know, that doesn't sound fun to me..lol
The movie is really good though.



Here's one more we watched...
This one's pretty scary..
 

 
Two couples vacationing together in an R.V. 
from Texas to Colorado are terrorized
 after they witness a murder during a Satanic ritual. 
.............................................................................


Speaking of the devil,
let's gather together again and try to keep warm..
never mind the stealthy noises you hear beyond the firelight..

One evening I was out in our front yard..setting up some of the decorations for Halloween.
Our young neighbor was there, untangling lights and tinsel..
He loved helping me out because his family did not decorate and it got him out of 
doing homework for a few hours.
We were busy stretching out a couple of the light strands when we noticed how quiet it had it become.
It almost felt like the volume had been turned all the way down
 on a radio that had been on full blast.
 I looked up and said..what happened?  
He put his finger to his lips, to shush me...
It remained quiet for about ten to fifteen seconds,
 then all of a sudden, the dogs, at the very end of the street started barking and howling..
pretty soon all the dogs on our street were carrying on, making a terrible racket.
Then, just as suddenly as it began, it was over..
the normal people/car/street sounds 
were all we could hear.
Again, I asked, What happened?
Louis, my neighbor, said,
"Oh, it's the devil. Haven't you ever heard that before?"
I shook my head slowly..
Allegedly, if you hear lots of dogs going crazy, at night, for no reason (like seeing a cat or something)
it is because the devil is passing through, looking for a soul to
 either inhabit or just terrorize.
When you hear the dog's warning,
you are supposed to stop what you're doing and stay quiet.
I thought it was a chilling little urban legend
creepy, but a bit silly.
 But when I'm outside alone at night and I hear all the dogs barking and howling,
Well, then  it's not so silly anymore.



Well, I'm off..
have a spooky week!!!





13 comments:

  1. You have definitely changed my response to dogs barking en masse.
    Thanks. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Candyman, but I would gladly take one of those donuts.

    It rained buckets here, too, but now we are supposed to get warm and dry weather again.

    I've never heard of this urban legend, but I'm thrilled no one on my block owns dogs!

    Happy Haunted Humpday, dear Marfi and Helena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That donut looks amazing. I think I put on ten pounds just drooling over it. I never heard that legend about the devil and barking dogs. I'll have to pay more attention. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Marfi,

    The glitter on the ghost looks great. I remember back in 2003, my sister was staying with me after our mom died. We decided to watch the old movie Psycho. We were so scared when it came to the shower scene that we would freak out. Well, it was nothing really. haha. I guess back in that day, that was considered scary, but now with the technology we have with arm hanging off, blood and guts, that was nothing. hahaha However, the best thing, spending time with my sister and the anticipation of being freaked out was the best. I love your post. Have a great day. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard that before but will now try to remember to stay silent when the dogs warn us.
    I am having my 7th annual Holliween party this weekend. I am excited and have been decorating the house for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had a bit of rain but nothing like what it sounds like you've had! A donut is a cheering thought on a rainy day :) I like what you've don't with the pumpkin-headed ghost. Horror comedies aren't my favorite, but Candyman might be right down my alley. How'd I miss that one? I'd never heard the legend about why dogs bark and howl, but I know now I'll remember it whenever I hear them. I appreciate the midweek Haunted posts. You're adding atmosphere to my season. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had similar experiences before, like someone hits the "mute button" & everything gets deathly still. It is very, very creepy, especially if you are outdoors alone. I have heard the dogs once before, like in sequence, the barking moving closer up the street. Never heard the devil story before, but I'll sure remember...shiver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the ghost card is cute. I've experienced the strange silence when every dog on the block has stopped barking. I thought 'That's odd. Usually, you hear at least one dog barking." Moments passed, and one lone dog ran up the street with all its doggy might. It was the strangest sight I ever saw. More minutes passed, and the dog catcher's truck chugged by. I never figured out how the dogs knew that a dog catcher was in the vicinity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you believe it!
    We are half way to Halloween.
    I like the glitter you've added to your ghost.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. getting ready here, hard to tell if those goblins will show up

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is really interesting about the dogs barking!!
    I just finished watching Misery! I love that movie!
    That donut looks so good!!! Love your ghost! He looks great with the glitter!
    Thanks for telling me about the hummingbirds. That was really interesting!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I can say (in addition to "sorry for my usual lateness") is that apparently the devil lives in my neighborhood!

    Honestly, I love dogs but when one of our neighbors takes their dogs (no one has only one!) out for a walk, all the rest of them go into a frenzy. Every evening there's the Twilight Bark, too! Can't say if things ever get quiet before they all start barking but our hedges fill up with sparrows and I've experienced their chirping coming to an abrupt stop for no reason. Now that I know I'll be more careful. ha!

    The glitter looks great on your ghost, adds a lot of depth. OMG, that donut, I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My low white blood cell count and I need to stay home this weekend. But I plan to read a lot of spooky stuff and share some of my own.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it:)