“And above all,
watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you,
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl





Thursday, September 21, 2017

A King's Day ( haunted humpday part 2)

It's Here!







It's birthday-day for Stephen King!
Happy 70th Birthday!!!!!
 
I've spoken about it often and written about it here a few times
but I will revisit why he means so much to me.

The first book of his I read was

 
I was still a child so I didn't understand much of it.
Staying over at my aunt's house watching 'Carrie"as the late night movie was a different thing all together..
I'm still afraid of the part when her mom lights the house up with all the candles.
I think this song was the reason that scene creeps me out so much!



It seems he has always been with me
in many pockets of time..good and bad.
I had my daughter and needed a book to read in the early stages of labor:
'Salem's Lot"
When I was treated horribly by someone
 I read 'The Mist' and forgot why I had been sad in the first place,
Reading 'Everything's Eventual' after I got married and being relieved
 someone else was in the room when I got scared.
During a sleepover with my daughter, my niece, nephew and a puppy named Kane..
(all cozy on my bed room floor in sleeping bags)
I read 'The girl who loved Tom Gordon' and knew that was going to be a vivid memory one day.

I reach for his books
for comfort and familiarity
like taking the hand of old friend,
which seems odd at times considering how terrifying his stories usually are.
But
Sometimes his scary is easier to deal with than my scary...
 


He was with me during
 my father's illness and eventual passing a few years ago,
In attorney's office last summer..
In a courthouse last November
In a very scary doctor's office
& just recently, in a hospital room. 
 
I can count on him and he is always there.


I've passed my love for him and his books down to my girls.
Hopefully
they will also find the light in the dark that he brings and learn the lessons that he teaches.

So
the festivities started last night, or rather, this morning at the stroke of midnight..
We were watching Creepshow and heard a light tapping at the window..
well of course it was Danny Glick 
waiting to be invited in...


He was the first to arrive..
Then the guests started to pour in..
Church came back, again!


Helena invited Carrie..





and Pennywise 1990



 
We heard a eerie scraping sound over by the sewer grate
(next to the pantry)


and out popped Pennywise 2017



Mr. Barlow appeared in the kitchen.


and Aunt Sylvia made an appearance too.
 
 
aww, even General and the nasty little troll are here!


Here Comes Jordy and his bucket of meteor shit!


It looks like the werewolves arrived..
This one is from the Neibolt house


And this one looks the guy from Cycle of the Werewolf




 
speaking of which,
This is how they got here...




The manglers are here too, practically knocking down the door!
 


We decided that it was probably a good idea to feed them all.
So we brought out the food.

Eyeball, anyone?


How about getting lost in a maze cake from the Overlook?


the Children of the Corndogs are pretty tasty too..



Now it's time to sing Happy Birthday!!
I see Annie Wilkes stopped by
and..... shhhh! he didn't want me to say anything but
Stephen King couldn't resist visiting either!
As the guest of honor,
We had him sit at the head of the table.
He heard about this awesome party and could not help himself!


I think the crate cake was what lured him over, haha!


Ok ok
he's made of cardboard but it could happen!!  
You never know!
It's his birthday and WE actually got some gifts!
My older daughter and my niece bought us goodies.


Frida Kahlo lipsticks


Halloween socks



CREEPSHOW graphic novel



this solar, wiggly, dia de los muertos toy
 (plus a super toasty, fleece Halloween blanket
 that is not pictured cause Helena is all wrapped up in it)


Tomorrow night we are going out to dinner and then to watch 'It'
I hope you enjoyed our little celebration.
By now you probably can guess that the King and I 
are a bit entwined.
I buy his books and He alters my life : )

...
Although i have no romantic notions towards this man
I do, however occasionally dream of him..
sometimes it's just us, hanging out..talking abut his books..
other times, ok four times, 
I have had this recurring dream that we are dancing the Tango.
(I have no idea why that particular dance)
I wake up from these dreams with the song 'Por una cabeza' stuck in my head.
The song is beautiful, so I'm including it in case you want to listen.



and I will leave you with this image of us dancing:





Hey, it's my birthday party for him, I can ask him to Tango if I want!! 
it could happen, you never know.


Have an amazing day & don't forget to eat some cake and


 thank you for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. Y'all went all out! Wow!!! Salem's Lot is my favorite. Have you ever read Lissie's Story? It stands out in my mind, too. Enjoy dinner and the movie. Trip and Shelley want to see "It," too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I enjoy the Haunted Humpday series every year!!! I am so very glad to be able to have it as part of my enjoyment of Halloween. I wish you and your crew a very scary, haunted, and merry Halloween season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Marfi, you really throw a fantastic birthday party! It's so fun and scary at the same time. Those Children of the Corndogs had me laughing out loud!
    Helena's wonderful drawing of Carrie is just precious, that movie was my first introduction to Stephen King, too. Loved having the music playing while reading the post.
    Have a great time at IT and thanks for the fabulous party.
    Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW MUCH FUN!!! I love it. I love the Frida Kahlo lipsticks. where did they get those? Thanks for keeping up a great tradition. Helena sure if big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spoke to soon. I looked it up. CVS has the lipsticks. I'll have to get some for dia de los muertos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, this might sound weird to you, but I actually shed a tear, when I read your post! I know it's because of everything you have went through, you made a special bond with Stephen King! This is something that will always be in your soul! I truly love this post! The party, the treats, the cake, the dancing, everything! Fantastic! Happy Birthday Stephen King! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowness..what a fantastical tribute !! I loved reading how his books have been with you through all of your journeys, very touching and amazing how creativity/art/writing/ being inspired.... can help us through our most challenging times! Love that kitty on the pumpkin and the Frida lipstick..and ALL of your creative art and work and all of your beautiful sharings, so awesome my friend! Thanks for this fabulous journey..I so enjoyed my visit! Shine on...and keep shining! Sending lots of hugs and sparkles your way!
    Victoia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this party looked amazing!

    I confess to never having read Stephen King's books. At first it was because he writes scarry stuff and it wasn't until a few years ago that I began watching scary movies. Aside from Stand By Me (which wasn't scary), I'd only seen Rose Red and that was when I was first dipping my toes into the genre. And since reading for me is far more vivid than watching a movie, I wasn't ready for his books. Then I was talking about books with my Dad and he said that my Grandfather- the college Librarian- had read one of Stephen King's books and hadn't been impressed and didn't seem to think it was worth the time. (Grandpa liked literary books not Genere books- that makes a huge difference that I hadn't realized until recently)
    Anyway, I just haven't picked anything up yet. However, several people really recommend his book on writing, and Amanda told me a couple of stories he'd shared about writing, in that book. I've been a tad curious.

    So, which of his fiction novels would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it:)