“And above all,
watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you,
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl





Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Humpday with apples and skellies






Happy Haunted Humpday!!

It's our 2nd one in October!
How are you enjoying this festive month?
We try to get in a scary movie every evening.
So far this week we have watched..






What can I say? TCM has them for free on-demand:)

Have you watched this one before?


It's from the early 80's.

Plot
Six girls have been found murdered in the apartment of famed russian occultist,
 Karl Raymarseivich Raymar and the police cannot explain it. 
When Raymar's body was lifted onto a stretcher, bolts of electricity shot out from his fingers. 
His estranged daughter Olivia and her husband Allan are unaware of this until
 they meet Samuel Dockstader, a feature writer for The World of the occult as a friend of Raymar.
 Dockstader explains that Raymar was a psychic vampire who gained great powers of telekinesis by kidnapping young girls, terrorizing them, and feeding off the bioenergy they produced. 
Allan does not believe him, but Dockstader shows Olivia a set of photographs to demonstrate how bioenergy works and gives her an audiotape that outlines his findings, which convinces Olivia to believe him.
Meanwhile, High school student Julie Wells wants to be part of a club entitled The Sisters, which consist of three snobby high school girls named Carol, Leslie, and Kitty, 
Unfortunately, Carol is the ex-girlfriend of Julie's new boyfriend Steve, and is jealous. 
She intends to get back at Steve and Julie by making Julie spend a night alone in a mausoleum, unaware that Raymar's body was just entombed there. 
That evening, Julie is dropped off by only Carol and Kitty, as Leslie had refused to accompany them on the plan. 
Julie explores the mausoleum and sets up her sleeping bag, unaware of the cracks that appear around Raymar's vault.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's pretty good, a little cheesy and gory but 
worth it if you can find it.
We watched  it on YouTube a little while back.
It's perfect to watch huddled under a warm blanket with the lights out.



We are planning on making these on Friday.
There's a trip to a local pumpkin patch in the works too!



Caramel Stuffed Apples

Total Time:
Prep:
Level: Easy
Serves: 4

Ingredients

  • 2 apples, halved
  • 2 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 3 tbsp. cinnamon sugar
  • 12-16 caramel candies
  • 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips, melted

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Using a melon baller, core the apples. Place apples in a shallow baking dish and brush each with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Pour water into baking dish and place in oven for 20 minutes.
  3. Remove apples from oven and add 3-4 caramels to the well in each apple. Return to bake, 15 more minutes. Drizzle with chocolate, sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar, and serve


This passed week has gone by so fast!
I've started many new paintings and projects but the only one 
I have ready to show is an art card I created.
she has a burlap skirt on!



Helena painted these wooden witch legs, haha!




Last year on my birthday I received a gift card to a bookstore here called
Changing Hands..
I was not able to go use the gift card until February, due to health problems.
By that time everything was on clearance, including these cuties, they were three dollars!
I almost forgot I had them!

 
My friend stopped by the other night to watch movies and paint.
For no reason, he brought me some sweet amazing gifts!
This awesome candelabra...


and this handsome guy..isn't he CUTE!?




Ready for a story?


The nights have become chilly
 and the shadows are creeping in earlier and earlier
So let's sit by the fire now...

This story is about a lady named Bettina and her husband Ricardo,
They lived on a small farm in a pretty desolate area of town, 
( in fact they only had one close neighbor, her sister and her nephew)
with a small apple orchard and a modest sized pumpkin patch behind their house.
.  They also had some chickens, a couple of goats and an old pony.
 
One afternoon Ricardo arrived home and said one of his friends was moving
 and had asked if he wanted to buy his hog, 
It was very large and would be ready to slaughter by next fall.
They had an old pig pen already built and it was empty,
 so he purchased the animal and brought it home the next day.
 From the start Bettina didn't care for the hog.
She told Ricardo that every time she went to feed him she felt uneasy.
It would stare at her and whenever she got near the pen to care for the other animals,
it would rush at the fence then turn away at the last minute.
She asked Ricardo to please replace the wood because it was old, and rotted.
She was also afraid the hog would push the catch with it's snout and the door would swing open.
He promised her he would, but honestly did not understand her fear,
to him the hog was just that, a hog.
He removed the latch and replaced it near the top of the gate,
but the new reinforcement would have to wait until harvest was over.
She began to have disturbing nightmares where the hog 
would leer at her through the window and speak to her in a raspy voice.
One night as she was getting ready for bed,
she thought she saw it watching her from the closet.
Ricardo was busy working, so he did not notice her discomfort getting worse. 
Her twenty year old nephew arrived one evening to help Ricardo finish out the season.
he noticed how nervous she was and asked her what was wrong.
She told him it was the hog..she believed it was evil.
she said it giggled softly when ever she went passed the pen. 
Sometimes she could it hear it muttering to itself.
It haunted her dreams and told her it was going to catch her and tear her throat out.
To her it was no longer a hog, but a demon.
He couldn't believe what he was hearing.
He attempted to assuage her fear but nothing he said helped.
 He spoke to Ricardo about it and 
he said he'd go into town as soon as he had a chance and get some wood to reinforce the pen, 
He also wanted to cover the fence so she would not have to see the hog from the kitchen window.
He thought that would help her feel better.
The next morning after breakfast,  Ricardo got in his truck and  went to purchase
the necessary supplies to fix up the area.
 When he got back he was surprised to see the sheriff and an ambulance in front of the house.
He was not allowed to enter his home.
His sister-in-law was there, in hysterics.
Once she calmed down she told him what she knew.
She had heard his truck start and drive off, then about five minutes later
she got a phone call from her sister, 
claiming that she could see the hog was on it's hind legs 
and was trying to undo the latch on the gate.
As she listened she said her sister started to scream.
By the time she threw down the phone and raced over to the house, it was too late.
When she got there the back door was in pieces
 and the hog was eating her sisters face.
It had already torn out her throat.


 It was ruled an accident, of course..
The pig obviously broke through a door that was weak and attacked a human.
that's all..
The strange thing was, the gate to the hog pen was not broken.
It had been unlatched.


 
Guess what?
it's my blog's birthday!
This place has been a home to me.
Many people feel blogging is losing steam, choosing Instagram and FaceBook
to post their art and tell their stories...that's fine, obviously, it's your own choice.
I use IG and FB, but I always come back here.
There's a certain comfort to blogging for me.
I won't be quitting any time soon,
So to my little blog:


See you all very soon!

have a happy Haunted Humpday!


15 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're not going anywhere because I love your blog! What a creepy story...It has given me the chills! Your recipe looks like so much fun. We loved baked apples, and this one looks delicious with the cinnamon butter and caramel! I'm pinning it to my Best Autumn Recipes Board!!!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Incipient Wings! I am so glad you're sticking around I just don't understand the draw of Instagram. I like pictures, but I enjoy the text on blogs to tell the rest of the story. Speaking of stories, this one was really creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier. I'm glad you did, because I simply adore your blog. It's friendly, unique, and has lots of interest. I really like your paint storage area, too.

    I'll try not to dream of the demon hog when I sleep tonight. It was a fun and spooky tale. And I'm also glad you aren't going anywhere, because I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A happy birthday to your blog Marfi, I find it's a wonderful place to visit!

    My wife and I watched that old classic starring Lon Chaney about a week ago on TV and really liked it, even though it's not as realistic looking like some of the werewolf movies one sees today. There's another old classic starring Lon Chaney called "Witchcraft" that I really liked, except for its ending in which I just so happened to watch on YouTube.

    I always like when you post a story, as well as the name of movies, for I really enjoy reading the stories you post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy anniversary. I really enjoy reading your blog - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marfi..wow what a feast of magic and creativity, love all those movie pics! Fabulous , spooky tale, love it! Those caramel apples look divine, yum, so hungry now! Yay , Happy Blog Bday! i love blogging too, glad you will keep blogging too. Your witch card is gorgeous, such a sweet soul! Thanks for shining your magical soul always, so fun to visit your world! I have a post up too! Happy HH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me a skellies... at torn throats, too, but we'll pretend I didn't enjoy that line as much *giggles*.

    Happiest Blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, eight years! I'm so glad you haven't abandoned your blog, it just wouldn't seem like Halloween without your spooky stories and fun artwork. Those other platforms are great for keeping in touch but they're no place to tell a story. Happy Birthday to your blog and I hope to celebrate many more of them with you!
    Thanks for the recipe and tip about the movies on demand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post Marfi! I loved it all. I like the Halloween salt and pepper shakers, so cute! Happy Blogaversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Bloggy Birthday Beautiful Soul!
    You watch such cool films! I just watched one the other night and I forget what it was called! LOL! I saw the original from like the 1940's. You know when the kids all have blond hair. It was remade after wards.
    Love your special gifts!! The art pieces are so much fun! (I haven't got back to your painting yet, sorry!)
    That story was creepy!!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogiversary! There's so much I love about this post - the recipe, the story - everything!
    Lisa / Maple Grove Cemetery

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for commenting on my blog! I will try to read the story as soon as I can. I am curious about Dracula's Daughter and One Dark Night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, ad just one more thing ... HAPPY BLOG-AVERSARY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Incipient Wings! I am so glad you're sticking around I just don't understand the draw of Instagram. I like pictures, but I enjoy the text on blogs to tell the rest of the story. Speaking of stories, this one was really creepy!

    ตารางบอล

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to your Blog!!!! keep posting such fantastic post.
    Thanks for visiting my blog & commenting. I am following you. Hope we will be in touch.
    https://clickbystyle.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it:)