“And above all,
watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you,
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl





Saturday, August 4, 2018

Doubles, Bats and Fog

'Victorian'



I had to make it a little spooky...
That whole era seems a bit creepy to me, 
I read a story about a young 
Victorian girl that was left home alone for an afternoon.
While walking in the garden, she happened to glance up at her house and thought 
she saw the curtain draw back from an upstairs bedroom..
Since she was certain she was alone, she figured it was merely 
the breeze blowing through an open window. 
As the day drew to a close. she too, decided to retire for the evening.
She went up to her bedroom and stopped in front of her mirror to pin back a stray curl..
The face staring back at her was her own, but the eyes were glazed and distant.. the lips curled
in a malevolent smile,
the chest did not rise and fall with breath, it was still.
By the time her family returned home, she was delirious with fever.
She recounted the events of the day, her eyes bright with feverish terror..
her last word was
"doppelgänger" 

While there isn't a doppelganger in the image above, this is the picture I have in my head
of what the young girl might have looked like.

Thanks for looking:)

11 comments:

  1. A wonderful illustration for a deliciously eerie tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spooky but enchanting image and a scary gothic tale!

    Have a Lovely Day 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those "creepy" stories, and you've created the perfect piece for that tale. The cat is a nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the Victorian era feels rather spooky... like the Gothic, but with all the darkness bedecked in sparkles and etiquette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh. I not only LOVE this digital image, I adore the back story, too. Sounds to me like you and the Victorian era didn't get along too well (grin). I sure loved your Victorian lady, though. Simply adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have captured what the young girl may have looked like perfectly, Marfi! I loved this post, story and all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, she certainly had bats in her belfry Thanks for the entertaining tale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Kim, you have captured everything so perfectly Marfi! I love this, even though it gives me shivers! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your imagination, illustration and description is just amazing. i can see that girl in this image the way you describe her.
    My New Post | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything was beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh, this is lovely and mysterious! xo

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it:)